• To submit scores or edit pages, register/log in and you'll be redirected to the Contributor ChoralWiki •
Born: 17 July 1832, Stockholm
Died: 10 February 1876, Stockholm
Johan August Söderman was the first Swedish composer of the Romantic generation, known especially for his lieder and choral works, based on folk material, and for his theatre music.
The son of a musical father and a pupil of the Royal Swedish Academy in Stockholm, he majored in piano, but mastered the oboe and violin as well. In 1856-57 he studied counterpoint at the Leipzig Conservatory with Hans Richter; there he became familiar with the music of Robert Schumann and also with that of Richard Wagner.
He wrote several operettas and occasional music for plays. His influence can be detected in the music of later Swedish Romantic composers, Hugo Alfvén and Wilhelm Peterson-Berger.
- The above is an excerpt from Wikipedia. For the full article, click here.
List of choral works
- Klang min vackra bjällra
- Och fast du svikit din flickas tro
- Sex visor i folkton (Six songs in folk lore style)
- Jungfrun gick åt lunden, sköna
- Det står en älsklig blomma
- Min vän är den bästa
- Och blomstren de dofta
- Och jungfrun gick åt lunden
- Pojkar och jäntor ta'n nu i ring
- Sjön Jomfru! Lukk dit Vindue op
- Og jeg vil ha'e mig en hjertanskjär
- Nog mins jag, hur det var, när som lilla vännen for.
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
add web links here