Discussion of Category:Professional music editors
- Speedy delete - There is quite a confusion amongst CPDL editors, CPDL contributors, and those who donate to CPDL. Until such a time that we actually have the naming conventions sorted out and perhaps decide that we need categories for these, it's probably best to delete these (including this). But first the categorization should be removed from the one individual that has been categorized here. -- Chucktalk Giffen♫ 14:22, 20 October 2008 (UTC)
- More consideration required - In that case, what should be done with Hollis Dann? Should professional music editors have a presence here on CPDL? I agree that the category is confusing for users (if anyone has actually found it, that is). --Bobnotts talk 19:57, 20 October 2008 (UTC)
- Rename & keep - I would suggest a couple of changes to these categories. "CPDL Editors" sounds like anyone who makes edits to CPDL pages, including adding text, translating a help page etc. I think it would be more appropriate to rename it to "Music editors". Likewise, this category "Editors" could be renamed to "Music publishers" (?), though I'm not sure if "publisher" is a good term here.
BTW, I know that categories can't be renamed in the conventional way, but it can be done directly in the database. —Carlos 20:09, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
- Rename & keep - I support renaming the category for people like Hollis Dann -- maybe External Editors? Music Publishers doesn't really apply, IMO. Once this stabilizes, I plan to eventually add a category for my hero Frank Harrison, who edited the published version of the Eton Choirbook, the big book of William Mundy, etc. --Vaarky 16:41, 24 October 2009 (UTC)
- Rename and keep - This should be renamed "Compilers-Editors" (or is it "Compiler-Editors"?), and made clear that these are compilers and editors of publications, not (necessarily) works. This category would include people who are compilers and editors of publications, but are otherwise uncategorized (composers, lyricists, CPDL Editors). Examples would include the four in the existing category (Johann Donfrid, Hollis Dann, Carl Proske, Abraham Schadaeus) and Freeman Lewis, Ottaviano Petrucci, Tielman Susato, Andrew Law, John Norman, Joshua Leavitt, etc. Many compilers of publications edited the works in their publications, and some contributed their own compositions to their publications as well. Often we don't know whether they edited or composed works in their publications. — Barry Johnston (talk) 17:49, 9 April 2019 (UTC)
- Also including Caspar Hassler and Henry Ranlet — Barry Johnston (talk) 02:23, 7 May 2019 (UTC)