Born: 9 February 1771
Died: 3 October 1815
Daniel Belknap was an early American composer, principally of sacred music. He was born in Framingham, Massachusetts. He is described as 'Teacher of Music, in Framingham' on the title page of his first book, The Harmonist's Companion. He died in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
View the Wikipedia article on Daniel Belknap.
NOTE. New works added to this page should be automatically placed in the correct position below. Please add Listing by first line manually.
List of choral works
Listing by Title
3. Secular Songs
Listing by First Line
- Almighty King of heaven above
- Along the banks where Babel's current flows
- And must my body faint and die
- A span is all that we can boast
- Come, said Jesus' sacred voice
- Dearest of all the names above
- Dear Lord! behold our sore distress
- Death, 'tis a melancholy day
- Descend, ye hosts of angels bright
- Down from the top of earthly bliss
- Eternal power, whose high abode
- Farewell, bright soul, a short farewell
- Farewell, my friends, I must be gone
- God! the eternal, awful name
- Great Father of mankind
- Hark from the skies! A dreadful sound
- Hark! from the tombs a doleful sound
- He comes, the royal Conqueror comes
- He dies! The friend of sinners dies
- He sends his word, and melts the snow
- How long wilt thou forget me, Lord?
- How soon, alas! must summer's sweets decay
- I'm not ashamed to own my Lord
- Indulgent God, with pitying eyes
- Sing to the Lord, ye heavenly hosts
- Teach me the measure of my days
- Thee we adore, eternal name
- The gentle breeze which through the grove
- The little hills, on every side
- The Lord Jehovah reigns
- The Lord hath eyes to give the blind
- The Lord, the Sovereign, sends his summons forth
- There is a house not made with hands
- There is a land of pure delight
- These glorious minds, how bright they shine
- The spirits of the just
- The swelling billows know their bounds
- The voice of my Beloved sounds
- Think, mighty God, on feeble man
- Thou refuge of my weary soul
- Throned on a cloud our God shall come
- Thus saith the high and lofty one
- 'Tis finished, so the Savior cried
- 'Twas spring, 'twas summer, all was gay
- When I survey the wondrous cross
- Why do we mourn departing friends
- With flowing eyes and bleeding hearts
- Your harps, ye trembling saints
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Belknap, Daniel, Compiler. 1797. The Harmonist's Companion. Boston: Isaiah Thomas and Ebenezer T. Andrews. 32 pp.
- Belknap, Daniel, Compiler. 1800. The Evangelical Harmony. Boston: Isaiah Thomas and Ebenezer T. Andrews. 76 pp.
- Belknap, Daniel, Compiler. 1802. The Middlesex Collection of Sacred Harmony. Boston: Isaiah Thomas and Ebenezer T. Andrews, 1802. 111 pp.
- Belknap, Daniel, Compiler. 1806. The Village Compilation of Sacred Music. Boston: J. T. Buckingham. 151 pp. Second Edition, 1806.
- Belknap, Daniel, Compiler. 1809. The Middlesex Songster. Dedham: H. Mann.
- Judgment Anthem. Dedham: Printed by H. Mann, for D. Belknap, 1810
- Steel, David Warren. 1999. Daniel Belknap (1771-1815): The Collected Works. New York: Routledge. 184 pp.
add web links here