Der Schmidt, Op. 145, No. 1 (Robert Schumann)
- Editor: Nikolaus Hold (submitted 2017-09-18). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 71 kB Copyright: CC BY NC
- Edition notes: Transcribed from Breitkopf & Härtel edition, 1879-1912, but with title: Der Schmied.
- Editor: Nugraha Tri (submitted 2006-02-23). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 90 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Description: In this song, a girl tells of her sweetheart, the blacksmith. The Breitkopf & Härtel edition, 1879-1912, is titled Der Schmidt instead of Der Schmied. As I have no access to the sources, I don't know whether the (nonsensical!) writing error comes from the Schumanns (Robert, the composer, or Clara, the editor) or from Breitkopf & Härtel.
You may check that the poem is called Der Schmied (as is also the correct German spelling today) in:
- Gedichte von Ludwig Uhland, Stuttgart und Tübingen in der J.G. Cotta'schen Buchhandlung, 1815, page 50; see link to BSB.
- Gedichte von Ludwig Uhland, Paris, Baudry's europäische Buchhandlung, 1840, page 30, see link to digitalisat by Google.
The error caused that there is even a Youtube video today with the title 'Schumann - Der Schmidt'. Perhaps CPDL is partly responsible too because the bad title here exists since 2006.
- BSB Gedichte von Ludwig Uhland, 1815
- Google - Gedichte von Ludwig Uhland, 1840
- Romanzen und Balladen, Op.145 at the Petrucci Music Library (IMSLP)
Original text and translations
Ich hör' meinen Schatz,
I hear my delight