- (Posted 2017-04-03) CPDL #43865:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-04-03). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 44 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1805. All six stanzas included.
- (Posted 2017-04-03) CPDL #43864:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-04-03). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 70 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). All six stanzas included.
First Line: Well met, dear friends, in Jesus' name
Title: Friendly Meeting
Composer: Jeremiah Ingalls
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1805 in Ingalls' The Christian Harmony, p. 50
Description: Words by an unknown author, apparently first published in 1794, with six stanzas.
Original text and translations
1. Well met, dear friends, in Jesus' name,
Come, let us now rejoice,
While we our Savior's praise proclaim,
With cheerful hearts and voice.
2 But O! dear Jesus, Lamb of God,
Send down the heavenly dove,
His graces to diffuse abroad,
To warm our hearts with love.
3. In vain, dear Savior, here we meet,
Except thy face we see;
Thy presence makes a heaven most sweet,
When-e'er we meet with thee.
4. A dungeon shows a heavenly dawn,
When there with thee we dwell ;
But when thy presence is withdrawn,
A palace proves a hell.
5. Then O! dear Jesus, condescend
To meet us with a smile;
Thy spirit's quickening influence send,
And purge our hearts from guile.
6. That at the close each one may say,
We meet not here in vain;
For we have tasted heaven to-day,
Nor could we more contain.