• To submit scores or edit pages, register/log in and you'll be redirected to the Contributor ChoralWiki •
Gabriel's message (Traditional)
- Editor: Edward L. Stauff (submitted 2004-05-20). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 50 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Rod Mather (submitted 2001-02-19). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 48 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Organ and optional other solo instrument
In Basque, "Birjina gaztetto bat zegoen"
- Editor: Francesco Spiga (submitted 2015-10-15). Score information: A4, 1 page, 181 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: The same arrangement, a fifth higher, for SAT.
- Editor: Francesco Spiga (submitted 2015-10-15). Score information: A4, 1 page, 180 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Arranged by Francesco Spiga for ATB. Lyrics in Basque and English.
Description: Gabriel's Message, or The angel Gabriel from heaven came (Basque: Birjina gaztettobat zegoen) is a Basque Christmas folk carol about the Annunciation to the Virgin Mary. It quotes the biblical account of that event (Luke 1:26-38) and Mary's Magnificat (Luke 1:46-55).
It was translated into English by Sabine Baring-Gould and is best known from that version. It was also made famous on the album A Very Special Christmas, as performed by recording artist Sting, who in his version replaces the word "Christian" with the word "everyone".
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Gabriel's message.