- (Posted 2016-05-06) CPDL #39573:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-05-06). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 47 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. All three stanzas of Hart's hymn included. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- (Posted 2016-05-06) CPDL #39572:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-05-06). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 64 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). All three stanzas of Hart's hymn included.
First Line: Great High Priest, we view thee stooping
Composer: Abraham Wood
Lyricist: Joseph Hart
Number of voices: 3vv Voicing: STB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 87. 87. D
Instruments: A cappella
Published: 1789 in Divine Songs, pp. 5-7.
Description: Words by Joseph Hart, 1759, his Hymn 56, Part 2, in three stanzas.
Original text and translations
1. Great High Priest, we view thee stooping,
With our names upon thy breast,
In the garden, groaning, drooping,
To the ground with horrors pressed,
Weeping angels stood confounded,
To behold their Maker thus;
And can we remain unwounded,
When we know 'twas all for us?
2. On the cross the body broken
Cancels every penal tie;
Tempted souls, produce this token
All demands to satisfy.
All is finished, do not doubt it,
But believe your dying Lord;
Never reason more about it,
Only take him at his word.
3. Lord, we fain would trust thee solely;
Twas for us thy blood was spilled;
Praised bridegroom, take us wholly,
Take, and make us what thou wilt.
Thou hast borne the bitter sentence
Passed on man's devoted race;
True belief, and true repentance
Are thy gifts, thou God of grace.