• To submit scores or edit pages, register/log in and you'll be redirected to the Contributor ChoralWiki •
Lugebat David Absalon (Nicolas Gombert)
- Editor: Adrian Wall (submitted 2016-05-01). Score information: A4, 15 pages, 1.48 MB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Transposed up a minor 3rd. Note values halved. Some part reallocation in secunda pars to facilitate performance by SATB.SATB. Text underlay is editorial.
- Editor: Ben Cunningham (submitted 2016-03-03). Score information: A4, 19 pages, 189 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Transposed a minor third higher for SSAATTBB forces. All editorial ficta are clearly marked above the stave.
- Editor: Charles H. Giffen (submitted 2006-02-15). Score information: Letter (landscape), 26 pages, 466 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Latin text and English translation included. Edition and performance notes included.
Title: Lugebat David Absalon
Composer: Nicolas Gombert
Description: This motet for men's voices in two parts is now generally accepted as being composed by Gombert. Early sources listing the motet as being by Josquin des Prez are surely erroneous, perhaps because of an oft-repeated penchant by publishers to cash in on the popularity of a particular composer, as the number of parts and compositional style are entirely out of character for the work to be by Josquin. The music for the Prima pars of the present motet is nearly identical with the music of Gombert's Je prens congie, and it also enjoyed popularity in its own time with the (poorly fitted) Easter text Tulerunt Dominum meum.
- Prima pars: Lugebat David Absalon
- Secunda pars: Porro rex operuit caput suum
Text and translations