Missa Sine Nomine a 8 (Bartolomeo Spontone)
- Editor: William Evans (submitted 2015-12-23). Score information: A4, 23 pages, 438 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Performance edition by William Evans, 2015. Transcribed from Bartholomei Spontonii (Musicae Cathedralis Veronae Moderatoris), Missarum Quinis, Senis et Octonis vocibus, Liber primus. Venice: Ricciardum Amadinum, 1588.
- (Partbooks for Cantus 1 & 2, Altus 1 & 2, Tenor, Quintus and Bassus 1 & 2.)
- Archived at: http://www.bibliotecamusica.it/cmbm/viewschedatwbca.asp?path=/cmbm/images/ripro/gaspari/_U/U214/
- Catalogo della Biblioteca del Liceo Musicale di Bologna: II, pp. 140-141.
- RISM ID no.: 00000990060501
- Original mode of G for SSAATTBB. Credo omitted, note values halved, tempo markings and rests at phrase endings are editorial.
- My thanks to Museo internazionale e biblioteca della musica di Bologna Catalogo Gaspari Online for providing this resource and Catherine Cowie for her invaluable assistance and advice on interpreting 16th century printed notation in order to produce this score.
- Pleni sunt cæli, Osanna, Benedictus and 2nd Osanna sections are not included in the original printed score. For liturgical use, these have been added by the editor from Spontone's Missæ Catherinæ (which precedes this mass in the 1588 publication), as it is in the same mode and shares similar rhythmic and melodic motives. Only one iteration of the Agnus Dei is given in the published score (bars 1 - 23). A suitable plainchant from Ordinarium Missæ Kyriale (XI - In Dominicis infra annum, Orbis Factor) has been included. The editor has arranged music from the final Kyrie for the dona nobis pacem section.
- An alternative voicing could be SSSAATBB, with third Sopranos singing Alto 1 and Alto 2 singing Tenor 1.
Title: Missa Sine Nomine a 8
Composer: Bartolomeo Spontone
Original text and translations
For information, refer to the Mass page. For texts and translations, see the individual pages: