O come to the merciful Saviour (Joseph Barnby)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2018-12-19). Score information: A4, 1 page, 59 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from the edition on IMSLP. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Original text and translations
1. O come to the merciful Saviour who calls you,
O come to the Lord who forgives and forgets;
Though dark be the fortune on earth that befalls you,
There’s a bright home above, where the sun never sets.
2. O come then to Jesus, whose arms are extended
To fold His dear children in closest embrace;
O come, for your exile will shortly be ended,
And Jesus will show you His beautiful face.
3. Yes, come to the Saviour, whose mercy grows brighter
The longer you look at the depth of His love;
And fear not! ’tis Jesus! and life’s cares grow lighter
As you think of the home and the glory above.
4. Have you sinned as none else in the world have before you?
Are you blacker than all other creatures in guilt?
Oh, fear not, and doubt not! the mother who bore you
Loves you less than the Saviour whose blood you have spilt!
5. Come, come to His feet, and lay open your story
Of suffering and sorrow, of guilt and of shame;
For the pardon of sin is the crown of His glory,
And the joy of our Lord to be true to His Name.