Ordination Hymn (Oliver Holden)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-09-30). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 61 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1803. All three stanzas included.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-09-30). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 65 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added. All three stanzas included.
Description: Words not attributed, but probably by Holden, because this is the first publication of the words, he doesn't attribute them, and all three stanzas are printed here.
Original text and translations
1. O what a happy, happy day,
When ancient saints were heard to say,
"To Zion's hill let us repair,"
With equal joy our willing feet
Approach this consecrated seat,
And bow with humble reverence here,
2. Convened within this temple, Lord,
Thy glorious presence now afford,
And fill each heart with sacred love:
This solemn rite with favor crown,
And shed thy promised blessing down,
With heavenly influence from above.
3. While now for Zion's peace we pray,
O let us hear our Savior say,
"Thy prayers are heard, thy choice I own."
Then shall Thy mourning church arise,
And vie with all below the skies,
In grateful songs before Thy throne.