Our blest Redeemer, ere he breathed (John Bacchus Dykes)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-08-27). Score information: A4, 1 page, 17 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the Church Hymnary, 1927. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Original text and translations
1. Our blest Redeemer, ere He breathed His tender last farewell,
A Guide, a Comforter bequeathed, With us to dwell.
2. He came in tongues of living flame, To teach, convince, subdue;
All-powerful as the wind He came, As viewless too.
3. He came, sweet influence to impart, A gracious, willing Guest,
While He can find one humble heart Wherein to rest.
4. And His that gentle voice we hear, Soft as the breath of even,
That checks each fault, that calms each fear, And speaks of heaven.
5. And every virtue we possess, And every victory won,
And every thought of holiness, Are His alone.
6. Spirit of purity and grace, Our weakness, pitying see;
O make our hearts Thy dwelling-place, And worthier Thee.