• To submit scores or edit pages, register/log in and you'll be redirected to the Contributor ChoralWiki •
Philippe de Vitry
|This composer is out of copyright but editions of their works have yet to be contributed to CPDL.|
You may be able to buy scores from Sheet Music Plus, which provides CPDL up to 8% of every sale we refer. This helps with the costs of running CPDL's web site.
Born: 31 October 1291
Died: 9 June 1361
Biography: Composer, music theorist and renown poet. Believed to have written the defining treatise on Ars Nova in 1322, after which this musical stylistic period is known. Only 2 poems and 12 motets survive (6 of these are identified as his, and the other 6 are generally regarded as likely to be his). Most
of the motets, like the poems, related to the politics of the time.
View the Wikipedia article on Philippe de Vitry.
List of choral works
- Vos qui admiramini
- Garrit Gallus/In nova fert/Neuma, a 3vv
- O Canenda/Rex quem/Rex regum
- Petre Clemens/Lugentium siccentur/Non est inventus
- Tuba sacre fidei/In arboris/Virgo sum, a 3vv
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Ars Nova, 1322
- the Wikipedia entry on Ars Nova