• To submit scores or edit pages, register/log in and you'll be redirected to the Contributor ChoralWiki •
Born: 17 March 1772, Glocester, Rhode Island
Died: 3 June 1856
Stephen Jenks was an American composer, compiler, and teacher. He moved often, finally settling in Thompson, Ohio in 1829. Between 1799 and 1810 he authored and coauthored more than ten printed collections of sacred and secular music; after moving to Ohio, he became a farmer and a maker of percussion instruments.
View the Wikipedia article on Stephen Jenks.
List of choral works
LISTED BY TITLE
3. Secular Songs
LISTED BY FIRST LINE
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Jenks, Stephen. 1799. The New-England Harmonist. Danbury, Connecticut: Douglas and Nichols. 24 pp.
- Jenks, Stephen. 1800a. The Musical Harmonist. New Haven, Connecticut: Amos Doolittle. 24 pp.
- Jenks, Stephen. 1800b. The New-England Harmonist and The Musical Harmonist. 64 pp.
- Jenks, Stephen; and Elijah Griswold. 1803. The American Compiler of Sacred Harmony, Number 1. Northampton, Massachusetts: Compiler. 64 pp.
- Jenks, Stephen. 1804. The Delights of Harmony. New Haven, Connecticut: Editor. 68 pp.
- Jenks, Stephen. 1805. The Delights of Harmony, or The Norfolk Compiler. Dedham, Massachusetts: H. Mann. 95 pp. Additional music on pp. 96-112.
- Jenks, Stephen. 1806. The Delights of Harmony, or the Union Compiler. Dedham, Massachusetts: H. Mann. 48 pp.
- Griswold, Elijah; Stephen Jenks; and John C. Frisbie. 1807. The Hartford Collection of Sacred Harmony. Hartford, Connecticut: Lincoln and Gleason. 72 pp.
- Jenks, Stephen. 1810. The Royal Harmony of Zion Complete. Dedham, Massachusetts: H. Mann. 40 pp.
- Jenks, Stephen. 1811. The Christian Harmony. Dedham, Massachusetts: H. Mann. 39 pp.
- Jenks, Stephen. 1818. The Harmony of Zion. Dedham, Massachusetts: Daniel Mann. 79 pp.
- Britton, Allen P.; Irving Lowens; and Richard Crawford. 1990. American Sacred Music Imprints 1698-1810: A Bibliography. Worcester, Massachusetts: American Antiquarian Society. 798 pp.
- Steel, David Warren, Editor. 1995. Stephen Jenks: Collected Works. Madison, Wisconsin: A-R Editions. 407 pp.
- Steel, David Warren; and Richard H. Hulan. 2010. The Makers of the Sacred Harp. Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois. 322 pp.