Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme
This hymn of Philipp Nicolai appeared in the same collection as his other famous hymn Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern, 1599. Again the poet is also considered to be the composer of the melody. Amongst the many choral settings of this hymn the musical cantata setting (BWV 140) by Johann Sebastian Bach is especially famous.
Scores on CPDL
- Johann Sebastian Bach BWV 140 for SATB choir, STB soli, orchestra
- Dietrich Buxtehude
- BuxWV 100 for SSB/SAB choir, 4 violins, and organ
- BuxWV 101 for ATB
- Hubertus Krämer SAB (chorale in bass)
- Felix Mendelssohn No. 16 from Paulus, Op. 36 (verse 1)
- Michael Praetorius
- Stefano Torchio SATB divisi
Other settings possibly not included in the manual list above
- Johann Sebastian Bach — Wachet auf!
Text and translations
(Philipp Nicolai, 1599)
(Catherine Winkworth, 1865)
- Pieces based on Nicolai's Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme at the Petrucci Music Library (IMSLP)
View the Wikipedia article on Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme.