Ah, cruel hateful fortune (George Kirbye)
- CPDL #25441: Ah_cruel_hateful_fortune.cap
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-01-21). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 52 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Based on the 1892 Arkwright edition, but transposed up a tone. Although this version is set as SSATTB, the first tenor range would make SSAATB possible too. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2006-05-07). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 48 kB Copyright: GnuGPL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-11-15). Score information: Letter, 14 pages, 76 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 V. M. Brennan
Title: Ah, cruel hateful Fortune
Composer: George Kirbye
Description: No. 19 from The first set of English madrigalls to 4, 5 & 6 voyces (George Kirbye)
Original text and translations
Ah! cruel, hateful fortune!
Now must I death importune,
Since that I am of all my hope deprived,
Nor but for sorrow had my soul survived.
Only this hope doth rest for my contentment,
That fortune, tir'd, will yield me some amendment.