O Father, Thou who hast created all (Arthur Sullivan)
- CPDL #22125: Capella
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-08-17). Score information: A4, 1 page, 21 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Taken from the Church Hymnary, 1927
Description: A setting of Catherine Winkworth's translation of Albert Knapp's O vaterherz, das Erd und Himmel schuf.
Original text and translations
1. O Father, Thou who hast cre-| ated all,
In wisest love, we pray.
Look on this babe, who at Thy| gracious call
Is entering on life's way;
Bend o'er him in Thy tenderness,
Thine image on his soul impress;
O, Father, hear.
2. O Son of God, who diedst for| us, behold,
We bring our child to Thee;
Thou tender Shepherd, take him| to Thy fold,
Thine own for ay to be;
Defend him through this earthly strife,
And lead him on the path of life,
O Son of God.
3. O Holy Ghost, who broodedst| o'er the wave,
Descend upon this child;
Give him undying life, his| spirit lave
With waters undefiled;
Grant him, while yet a babe, to be
A child of God, a home for Thee,
O Holy Ghost.
4. O Triune God, what Thou com-| mand'st is done;
We speak, but Thine the might;
This child hath scarce yet seen our| earthly sun,
Yet pour on him Thy light,
In faith and hope, in joy and love,
Thou Sun of all, below, above,
O Triune God.