• To submit scores or edit pages, register/log in and you'll be redirected to the Contributor ChoralWiki •
Quaeramus cum pastoribus (Jean Mouton)
- Editor: Charles H. Giffen (submitted 2006-10-25). Score information: Letter, 8 pages, 205 kB Copyright: CPDL May be freely copied, distributed, and performed for nonprofit purpose.
- Edition notes: Musica ficta clearly indicated.
Title: Quaeramus cum pastoribus
Composer: Jean Mouton
Description: Motet in two parts
- Prima pars: Quaeramus cum pastoribus
- Secunda pars: Ubi pascas, ubi cubes?
This motet by Mouton was the basis for a number of parody works by later composers, including parody masses by Morales and Willaert as well as motets by Crecquillon, Pedro de Cristo and Giovanni Croce (the latter two motets being available at CDPL).
It was so popular in its day that it was sung everywhere from the Sistine Chapel to Guatemalan frontier missions.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Quaeramus cum pastoribus.