- (Posted 2017-03-28) CPDL #43808:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-03-28). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 75 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. All seven stanzas of Occom's hymn included. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- (Posted 2017-03-28) CPDL #43807:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-03-28). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 76 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). All seven stanzas of Occom's hymn included.
Title: Angel's Hymn
First Line: Hark! ye mortals, hear the trumpet
Composer: Jeremiah Ingalls
Lyricist: Samson Occom
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 87. 87. 87
Instruments: A cappella
Published: 1805 in Ingalls' The Christian Harmony, pp. 132-133.
Description: Words by Samson Occom, 1774, with seven stanzas.
Original text and translations
1. Hark! ye mortals, hear the trumpet,
Sounding loud the mighty roar;
Hark! th'Arch-angel's voice proclaiming,
The old times shall be no more.
Rolling ages, rolling ages, rolling ages,
Now your solemn close appears.
2. This great rolling frame of nature,
That huge mass of blazing day,
Yonder arched expanse of heaven,
Ye must all dissolve away.
Hark! th'arch-angel, Hark! th'arch-angel, Hark! th'arch-angel,
Swells the solemn summons loud.
3. See the gloomy prisoners rising,
Hell's dark caverns gaping wide;
Wild Confusion seize the Christless,
Horrors fill the spacious void:
Come ye mountains, come ye mountains, come ye mountains,
Hide us from this dire revenge.
4. See the purple banner flying,
Hear the Judgment-chariot roll;
Hear the Savior's words of mercy:
Come, ye ransom'd heaven-born souls.
Judge these nations, judge these nations, judge these nations,
Now they all shall feel my power.
5. Hurled in countless numbers downward,
See in wild disorder driven;
Tortured with despair and anguish,
Left (and that for ever) heavrn,
How tremendous, how tremendous, how tremendous,
Sounds their last decisive doom.
6. See the souls that earth despised,
In celestial glories move;
Hallelujahs big with wonder
Praising Christ's eternal Love:
Hallelujahs, Hallelujahs, Hallelujahs,
Echo through the realms of light.
7. Joys ecstatic, hymns harmonious,
In soft symphony resound,
Angels, seraphs, harps, and trumpets,
Swell the sweet angelic sound:
Hail! Almighty! Hail! Almighty! Hail! Almighty!
Great eternal Lord, Amen.