This is an hymn by Isaac Watts, from Hymns and Spiritual Songs, 1707, Hymn 97 of Book 1. Meter is 88. 88 (L.M.).
Settings by composers
Text and translations
1. Buried in shadows of the night
We lie till Christ restores the light;
Wisdom descends to heal the blind,
And chase the darkness of the mind.
2. Our guilty souls are drowned in tears
Till his atoning blood appears;
Then we awake from deep distress,
And sing, "The Lord our Righteousness."
3. Our very frame is mixed with sin,
His Spirit makes our natures clean
Such virtues from his sufferings flow,
At once to cleanse and pardon too.
4. Jesus beholds where Satan reigns,
Binding his slaves in heavy chains;
He sets the prisoners free, and breaks
The iron bondage from our necks.
5. Poor helpless worms in thee possess
Grace, wisdom, power, and righteousness;
Thou art our mighty All, and we
Give our whole selves, O Lord, to thee.
add links here