Down by the Salley gardens
The poem by William Butler Yeats was published in 1889 and apparently first set to the tune THE MOORELOUGH SHORE, with which it has remained associated, by Herbert Hughes in his 1909 arrangement (Irish Country Songs vol. 2). Rebecca Clarke (1924, re-arr. w/ violin c. 1950) and John Ireland (1931, or 1943?) each wrote new tunes for the text.
View the Wikipedia article on Down by the Salley gardens.
Settings by composers
- Down by the Salley gardens (Traditional)
- arr. John Christensen SATB
- arr. Anthony Pasqua SSABr
- arr. Anne Dubrofsky Baritone & piano
- arr. Willem Verkaik SSATB
- Benjamin Britten (1943)
Texts and Translations
1 Down by the Salley gardens
Dort unten bei den Sally Gardens