1. The great tremendous day's approaching,
That awful scene is drawing nigh;
Was long foretold by ancient prophets,
Decree'd from all eternity.
2. But O my soul, reflect and wonder!
That awful scene is drawing near,
When you shall see that great transaction,
When Christ in judgment shall appear.
3. See nature stand all in amazement,
To hear the last loud trumpet sound,
Arise ye dead and come to judgment!
Ye nations of this world around.
4. Loud thunder rumbling thro' the concave,
Bright forked lightnings part the skies;
The heavens a shaking, earth a quaking,
The gloomy sight attracts mine eyes.
5. The orbit lamps all veiled in sackcloth,
No more their shining circuits run;
The wheel of time stops in a moment:
Eternal things are now begun.
6 Huge mossy rocks and towering mountains,
Over their tumbling bases roar:
The raging ocean in commotion
Is hovering round her frighted shore.
7. Turfy grave-yards and tombs of marble
Give up their dead both small and great;
See, the whole world, both saints and sinners,
Are coming to the judgment seat.
8. See Jesus on the throne of justice
Come thundering down the parted skies,
With countless throngs of shining angels
With Hallelujahs shout for joy.
9. Shining streams from his awful presence,
His face ten thousand suns outshine;
See him coming in power and glory,
To meet him all his saints combine.
10. Go forth, ye heralds, speed like lightning,
Call in my saints from distant lands,
Those that my blood from hell have ransomed,
Whose names in life's fair book do stand.
11. O come ye blessed of my Father,
The purchase of my dying love;
Receive the crowns of life and glory
Which are laid up for you above.
12. For you dear souls which have continued
With me, and my temptations bore,
I have provided for you a kingdom,
To reign with me forevermore.
13. Flowing fountains of living water,
No sickness, pain, nor death to fear;
No sorrow, sighing, tears nor weeping
Shall ever have admittance here.
14. But how will sinners stand and tremble,
When justice calls them to the bar;
Those that reject his offered mercy.
Their everlasting doom to hear?
15. See justice now with indignation,
Calling aloud for sinners’ blood;
Those that have slighted offered mercy,
And crucified the Son of God.
16. Depart from me, ye cursed sinner,
My face you never more shall see:
Be banished from my peaceful presence,
To endless woe and misery.
17. Each guilty soul then struck with horror
And anguish throbbing in their breasts,
Forever doomed to endless sorrow,
And never more to hope for rest.
18. Come, sinners, here's a faithful warning,
Return to Jesus while you may;
For he is ready to forgive you,
Or else you must depart away.