Merry Christmas bells (Hermann Kotzschmar)
- Editor: Douglas Walczak (submitted 2004-07-04). Score information: A4, 1 page, 76 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
Title: Merry Christmas Bells
Composer: Hermann Kotzschmar
Original text and translations
1. Merry Christmas bells are ringing,
Ringing far and near,
Angel voices sweetly singing,
Singing soft and clear.
"Glory! for the Lord is come,
Jesus makes the earth His home."
2. Happy voices catch the echo
Of the angels' song;
Grand old chant, and joyous carol,
Ring the aisles along.
Let our lips their homage pay
To the Saviour, born to day.
3. Graceful Christmas greens are wreathing
Column, choir and nave;
While their crosstipped boughs say ever,
"Jesus comes to save."
And the spicy fir's perfume
Breathes its welcome: "Christ is Come!"
4. In our souls let glad obedience,
Faith and love entwine,
Yielding Christmas odors sweeter
Than the fragrant pine:
So our hearts shall homage pay
To the Saviour, born today.
5. Precious Christmas gifts are gladdening
Many a heart and home;
But the "Gift all gifts excelling," Christ,
Him self has come:
In your hearts make speedy room;
For the Christ, the Lord is come!