O Jesus, we have tried to make you King (Thurlow Weed)
- Editor: Thurlow Weed (submitted 2014-12-11). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 21 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Hymn version.
- Meter: 10 10. 10 10
- Instruments: Organ
- Editor: Thurlow Weed (submitted 2014-12-10). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 24 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: This setting is intended as a choral anthem, preferably a cappella, although a soft organ flute registration may be used.
For a congregational setting, please see the hymn version above, which is an adaptation of the same hymn tune, but uses the original versification.
- Meter: 10 10. 10 10. 10 10
- Instruments: A cappella
Description: Proper 29, Year A
Original text and translations
1 O Jesus, we have tried to make you King
and hoped for crowns on earth and thrones above,
but you resist triumphalistic dreams
and bring instead a majesty of love.
2a We wait the day when Christ the King descends
and all saints rise to greet you with a bow.
2b You wait the day saints rise to comprehend
that we may greet and serve you here and now.
3 Attend neglected ones, the lost, the least;
and poor, you say, approach on bending knee.
In these you find the majesty you seek,
and all you do for them you do for me.
From Songs for the Cycle ©2004 by Michael Hudson.
Church Publishing Incorporated. All rights reserved. Used by permission.