O never say that I was false of heart (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry)
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2008-11-14). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 62 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Description: English Lyrics Set 7 No. 4
- On a time the amorous silvy
- Follow a Shadow (Ben Jonson)
- Ye little birds that sit and sing
- O never say that I was false of heart
- Sleep/Beautiful up from the deeps of the solemn sea cometh sweet Sleep (Julian Sturgis)
Original text and translations
O never say that I was false of heart,
Though absence seem'd my flame to qualify!
As easy might I from myself depart.
As from my soul, which in thy breast doth lie:
That is my home of love: if I have rang'd,
Like him that travels, I return again;
Just to the time, not with the time exchang'd, -
So that myself bring water for my stain.
Never believe, though in my nature reign'd
All frailties that besiege all kinds of blood,
That it could so preposterously be stain'd,
To leave for nothing all thy sum of good;
For nothing this wide universe I call,
Save thou, my rose; in it thou art my all.