See amid the winter's snow (John Goss)
Original setting by Goss
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2017-11-20). Score information: A4, 1 page Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Rafael Ornes (submitted 1999-09-01). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 26 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Source: Christmas Carols, New and Old ed. by John Stainer (1871). Originally titled "Hymn for Christmas Day".
- Editor: Rod Mather (submitted 2008-12-13). Score information: A4, 1 page, 26 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: May be sung a cappella.
- Editor: Edward L. Stauff (submitted 2004-05-20). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 49 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Listed under 'Winter's Snow', this edition arr. Edward L. Stauff for voices a cappella.
Original text and translations
See amidst the winter's snow,
Born for us on earth below;
See the tender lamb appears,
Promis'd from eternal years.
Hail, thou ever blessed morn;
Hail, redemption's happy dawn;
Sing through all Jerusalem,
Christ is born in Bethlehem.
Lo, within a manger lies
He who built the starry skies;
He who, throned in height sublime,
Sits amid the cherubim.
Say, ye holy shepherds, say
What your joyful news today;
Wherefore have you left your sheep,
On the lonely mountain steep?
As we watch'd at dead of night,
lo, we saw a wondrous light;
angels singing, peace on earth
told us of the Saviour's birth.
Sacred infant, all divine,
what a tender love was thine,
thus to come from highest bliss
down to such a world as this.
Teach, O teach us, Holy Child,
by thy face so meek and mild,
Teach us to resemble thee,
in thy sweet humility: