She is my love beyond all thought (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry)
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2008-11-13). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 57 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Description: English Lyrics Set 11 No. 8.
- One Golden Thread (Julia Chatterton)
- What part of dread eternity (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry?)
- The Spirit of the Spring (Alfred Perceval Graves)
- The Blackbird (Alfred Perceval Graves)
- The Faithful Lover (Alfred Perceval Graves)
- If I Might Ride on Puissant Wing (Julian Sturgis)
- Why Art Thou Slow, thou rest of trouble, Death, to stop a wretch's breath (Massinger)
- She is my love beyond all thought
Original text and translations
She is my love beyond all thought,
Though she has wrought my deepest dole;
Yet dearer for the cruel pain
Than one who fain would make me whole.
She is my glittering gem of gems,
Who yet contemns my fortune bright;
Whoose cheek but glows with redder scorn
Since mine has worn a stricken white.
She is my sun and moon and star,
who yet so far and cold doth keep,
She would not even o'er my bier
One tender tear of pity weep.
Into my heart unsought she came,
A wasting flame, a haunting care;
Into my heart of hearts, Ah! why?
And left a sigh for ever there.