- (Posted 2017-06-01) CPDL #44803:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-06-01). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 69 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1805. The first line of the first stanza modified slightly, repeating one word, to make the words fit the music. All six stanzas included, in the original (faulty) grammar. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- (Posted 2017-06-01) CPDL #44802:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-06-01). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 47 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The first line of the first stanza modified slightly, repeating one word, to make the words fit the music. All six stanzas included, in the original (faulty) grammar.
Title: Song of Moses
First Line: Almighty love inspires my heart with sacred fire
Composer: Jeremiah Ingalls
Number of voices: 3vv Voicing: STB
Instruments: A cappella
Published: 1805 in Ingalls' The Christian Harmony, p. 116, for three voices: Treble-Tenor-Bass.
Description: This is a folk hymn (Jackson 1952).
Words by an anonymous author, apparently first appearing in Ingalls 1805, in six stanzas. Meter of the first stanza is 12 12. 14 13, following stanzas are 14 12. 14 13. Meter of the music is 14 12. 14 13.
Original text and translations
1. Almighty love inspires my heart with sacred fire,
And animates my soul with desire to renew;
I love the solemn praises on whom bright angels gazes,
Where sympathy increases above the arched blue.
2. Thou tender hearted Savior, thy love my soul amazes,
Who died for to save us, when loft and undone;
No cherubim relieved us, no angel could redeem us,
And nothing could have saved us, if Jesus had not come.
3. O thou the sinner’s friend, all my simple prayers attend to,
And save me to the end, from the evil to come;
Afford to me the favor, that issues from my Savior,
And O forsake me never, till all my toils are o’er.
4. While here on earth I stay, I will hope for that glad hour,
When I am called away, to the mansions above,
There to enjoy the pleasure of the unceasing treasure,
And shout in highest measure hallelujahs of love.
5. In hopes of seeing Jesus, when all my conflicts ceases,
My love to him increases, his name I’ll adore;
Then O my blessed Savior, vouchsafe to me the favor,
To reign with thee forever, when time shall be no more.
6. There in the blooming garden, regained by free pardon,
Upon the banks of Jordan, I’ll worship the Lamb;
I’ll sing the song of Moses, while Jesus sweet composes
A song that never closes, in praises to his name.