Talk:Pierre de la Rue
I report what I wrote on User_talk:Rafael_Ornes:
Pierre De La Rue & Josquin Des Prez
A little question: I saw you catergorized Pierre De La Rue as [[Category:Composers|La Rue, Pierre de]].
I changed it in [[Category:Composers|De La Rue, Pierre]], because:
- following your criterion, one would write "Prez, Josquin des"
- better: following your criterion (a sort of "dictionary entry style"), one would write "Rue, Pierre de la", since "la" is just an article in French
- the name of the composer is often written "Delarue" (as for "Desprez"), so I wouldn't have doubt on the fact that my version is not only more correct, but even more useful to avoid users not finding the right page
A part from knowing French, I don't have a so big acquaintance on the subject. If you are sure you were right, please rollback.
--Toobaz 00:46, 25 October 2006 (PDT)
- I rolled your edit back, as the purpose of the optional material after the | in the Category:Composers listing is to get the alphabetical listing correct. As far as I know, in the English speaking world, Pierre de La Rue is referred to (by surname) as "La Rue", not "Rue" or "De La Rue". The (english) WikiPedia refers to the composer as "La Rue" in its article, and we generally regard that as accepted practice. -- ChuckGiffen 07:19, 25 October 2006 (PDT)
- Additionally, "Josquin des Prez" is sorted as "Josquin des Prez" ... he is universally referred to as "Josquin" and not simply as "des Prez" or "Prez" or "Desprez", etc. It's a sticky issue to construct sortkeys for proper names - different parts of the world use different standards, and frequently an individual has a specific preference/usage for sorting his/her own name. -- Chucktalk Giffen♫ 16:00, 11 June 2009 (UTC)
- La Rue, Pierre de is used by Grove & most libraries, but the capitalization de La Rue strikes me as grotesque, even though both "La Rue" (Grove and WP) and "la Rue" (everybody? else) are used for short. Since CPDL is on a first name basis, so to speak, I think we ought to move pages to NNNN (Pierre de la Rue). Richard Mix 19:44, 9 November 2010 (UTC)