Bright star (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- CPDL #17820: Sibelius 4
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2008-07-08). Score information: Letter, 6 pages, 76 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: File Sizes: PDF: 76 KB, MIDI: 12 KB, Sibelius 4: 46 KB.
Description: Number 6 of Charles Hubert Hastings Parry's "English Lyrics" - Set 4
Original text and translations
- Bright star! would I were steadfast as thou art —
- Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night,
- And watching, with eternal lids apart,
- Like Nature’s patient sleepless Eremite,
- The moving waters at their priestlike task
- Of pure ablution round earth’s human shores,
- Or gazing on the new soft fallen mask
- Of snow upon the mountains and the moors —
- No — yet still steadfast, still unchangeable,
- Pillow’d upon my fair love’s ripening breast,
- To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
- Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
- Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
- And so live ever — or else swoon to death.
- Lyrics: John Keats (1795-1821) - The Poetical Works of John Keats - Published 1884.