Difference between revisions of "Quanta beltà (Jacques Arcadelt)"
m (added publication info)
|Line 23:||Line 23:|
Revision as of 06:39, 18 June 2010
Music files (2 editions available)
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2006-02-06). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 56 kbytes Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- CPDL #1620: Finale 2001
- Editor: Claudio Macchi (submitted 2000-11-19). Score information: 88 kbytes Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Finale file is zipped.
- CPDL #21787: Finale 2010
- Editor: Walker Boyle (submitted 2010-06-15). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 65 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Transcribed from 1581 edition of "Il primo libro de' madrigali a 4 voci." Musica ficta applied to cadences - all sharps and naturals added by the editor.
Title: Quanta beltà
Composer: Jacob Arcadelt
Original text and translations
Quanta beltà quanta gratia e splendore
Si vidde in donna mai, Si vidde in donna mai,
Vaga Angloletta tutt’ il ciel vi diede
Quant’ alta cortessia quanto valore
Regnò in donna gia mai, gia mai
Tutt'in voi regna con pietate e sede
tal che chiunque vi vede
Dice chei bei sembienti vostri
I divia occhi, i divia occhi
il bel volto e le chiome
D’Angela son insieme col bel nome.
How much beauty, how much grace and splendour
Was ever seen in a woman, was ever seen in a woman,
Fair Angel, the entire heaven gave you
So much courtesy, so much value
That never reigned in a woman, never before.
Everything reigns in you with pity and has its seat,
So much that everyone who sees you
Says that your gracious line,
The heavenly eyes, the heavenly eyes
The beautiful face and hair
Are all together of an Angel, along with your fair name.(*)
(*)"Angela" is a common Italian name, but also the feminine form of "angel"