- (Posted 2018-12-13) CPDL #52612:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2018-12-13). Score information: A4, 1 page, 62 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from the edition on IMSLP. Note values halved. No.205 from Hymn Tunes by Joseph Barnby, Novello (1897) MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- CPDL #12532:
- Editor: Douglas Walczak (submitted 2006-09-08). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 69 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes:
Title: For all the Saints
Composer: Joseph Barnby
Lyricist: William Walsham How
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 10 10 10 with alleluias
Instruments: A cappella
Published: 1908 in The Church Hymnal (edition B), Boston.
Description: A different tune associated with the text more commonly used with the tune Sine Nomine of Ralph Vaughan Williams.
This setting appears elsewhere (for example, in Congregational Praise (1951)) under the name St Philip (Pro omnibus sanctis).
Original text and translations
1. For all the saints who from their labours rest,
Who thee by faith before the world confessed,
Thy name, O Jesus, be for ever blessed
2. Thou wast their rock, their fortress, and their might;
Thou, Lord, their captain in the well-fought fight;
Thou in the darkness drear their one true light:
3. O may thy soldiers, faithful, true, and bold,
Fight as the saints who nobly fought of old,
And win, with them, the victor's crown of gold:
4. Oh, blest communion, fellowship divine,
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
Yet all are one within your great design.
5. And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
Steals on the ear the distant triumph-song,
And hearts are brave again, and arms are strong:
6. The golden evening brightens in the west;
Soon, soon to faithful warriors cometh rest;
Sweet is the calm of paradise the blessed:
7. But lo there breaks a yet more glorious day;
The saints triumphant rise in bright array:
The King of Glory passes on his way:
8. From earth's wide bounds, from ocean's farthest coast,
Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
Singing to Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.