Judea (Solomon Howe)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-11-22). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 40 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-11-22). Score information: Unknown, 1 page, 41 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). All three stanzas included.
Description: Line 1 of Stanza 1 is by Niccolò Machiavelli, 1513; the remainder by Solomon Howe, 1804, in three stanzas.
Original text and translations
1. Virtue is forever growing
On its basis, joy and love;
Generous works forever flowing
Like the saints who reign above.
2. God, the source of every virtue,
Bids us imitate his Son;
That we may ascend to glory,
There adore him on his throne.
3. Sing his merits most sublimely,
Ransomer from hell and death;
To his praise we'll be devoted,
Thus employ our fleeting breath.