O thou who camest from above (Samuel Sebastian Wesley)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2009-12-26). Score information: A4, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-14). Score information: A4, 1 page, 25 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: SATB version in English from the Cyber Hymnal™ - File Sizes: PDF: 25 KB, MIDI: 2 KB, NoteWorthy Composer: 1 KB
Description: A setting by the composer of a hymn by his grandfather, Charles Wesley.
Original text and translations
1. O thou who camest from above
the fire celestial to impart,
kindle a flame of sacred love
on the mean altar of my heart.
2. There let it for thy glory burn
with inextinguishable blaze,
and trembling to its source return
in humble prayer and fervent praise.
3. Jesus confirm my heart's desire
to work and speak and think for thee;
still let me guard the holy fire
and still stir up the gift in me.
4. Still let me prove thy perfect will,
my acts of faith and love repeat;
till death thine endless mercies seal,
and make the sacrifice complete.