To Lucasta on going to the wars (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry)
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2008-05-14). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 53 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Description: English Lyrics - Set 3 no.1
- To Lucasta on going to the wars
- If thou wouldst ease thine heart
- To Althea from prison
- Why so pale and wan
- Through the ivory gate
- Of all the torments
- PDF of Richard Lovelace's 1817 printing of his 1649 book: "Lucasta: Epodes, Odes, Sonnets, Songs, …"
Original text and translations
Tell me not, sweet, I am unkind,
That from the nunnery
Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
To war and arms I fly.
True, a new mistress now I chase,
The first foe in the field;
And with a stronger faith embrace
A sword, a horse, a shield.
Yet this inconstancy is such
As you too shall adore;
I could not love thee, dear, so much,
Lov'd I not honour more.