- (Posted 2015-11-27) CPDL #37687:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-11-27). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 77 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. All six stanzas from Dossey's book included. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- (Posted 2015-11-27) CPDL #37684:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-11-27). Score information: Unknown, 1 page, 78 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). All six stanzas from Dossey's book included.
First Line: Farewell, my friends, I must be gone
Composer: Daniel Belknap
Lyricist: Samuel Crossman
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 88. 88 (L.M.)
Instruments: A cappella
Published: 1800 in The Evangelical Harmony, p. 33.
Description: Words by Samuel Crossman, 1664, entitled Death Anticipated. There are many versions of this song, with many of the later stanzas being added by compilers. The version used here is from William Dossey's The Choice, 1836, no. 145.
Original text and translations
1. Farewell, my friends, I must be gone,
I have no home or stay with you;
I'll take my staff and travel on,
Till I a better world can view.
2. Farewell, my friends, time rolls along,
Nor waits for mortal cares or bliss:
I'll leave you here and travel on,
Till I arrive where Jesus is.
3. Farewell, my brethren in the Lord.
To you I'm bound with cords of love:
If we believe his gracious word,
We all ere long shall meet above.
4. Farewell, ye blooming sons of God,
Sore conflicts yet remain for you;
But dauntless keep the heavenly road,
Till Canaan's fertile land you view.
5. Farewell, old soldiers of the cross,
You've struggled long and hard for heaven;
You've counted all things here but loss –
Fight on, the crown will soon be given.
6. Farewell, poor graceless sinners too,
It grieves my heart to leave you here!
Eternal vengeance waits for you,
O turn and see salvation near!