- (Posted 2015-09-24) CPDL #36921:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-09-24). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 62 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1803. The other five stanzas of Cowper's hymn included. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- (Posted 2015-09-24) CPDL #36920:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-09-24). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 61 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The other five stanzas of Cowper's hymn included.
First Line: The saints should never be dismayed
Composer: Oliver Holden
Lyricist: William Cowper
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1803 in The Charlestown Collection, 1803, p. 28
Description: Words by William Cowper, 1779, entitled Jehovah-Jireh, The Lord Will Provide in six stanzas.
Original text and translations
The saints should never be dismayed,
Nor sink in hopeless fear;
For when they least expect His aid,
The Savior will appear.
This Abraham found, he raised the knife,
God saw, and said, “Forbear;”
Yon ram shall yield his meaner life,
Behold the victim there.
Once David seemed Saul’s certain prey,
But hark! the foe’s at hand;
Saul turns his arms another way,
To save th’ invaded land.
When Jonah sunk beneath the wave
He thought to rise no more;
But God prepared a fish to save,
And bear him to the shore.
Blest proofs of power and grace divine,
That meet us in his word!
May every deep–felt care of mine
Be trusted with the Lord.
Wait for His seasonable aid,
And though it tarry, wait:
The promise may be long–delayed,
But cannot come too late.